Everbest Music presents a reissue of two classic Virgil Thomson albums: Portraits and Self-Portraits and Mostly About Love. Performed by pianist and New York Times chief classical critic Anthony Tommasini, these out-of-print gems are now available as Portraits, Self-Portraits and Songs in a 2-CD set, digital download, and streaming formats. Previously released on Northeastern Records, these definitive recordings feature 22 of Thomson’s chamber and vocal works, showcasing his signature wit and shrewd musical style.
|ArchivMusic (CD)||Apple Music|
|Naxos Direct (CD)||Spotify|
|Amazon Music (Digital)||Deezer|
“The three hours of music so beautifully served up here helped brighten several cold and dreary mornings for me during the past weeks.” – Ralph P. Locke, The Arts Fuse. Read the full review here.
"Both volumes give us welcome works in vibrant performances, surely filling out with nicely done additions for the comprehensive Thomson enthusiast but also remaining of close interest for anyone who wants to follow and understand 20th century US styles and sub-styles. A very good re-release, timely and evergreen. Check it out by all means.” – Gapplegate Classical-Modern Music Review. Read the full review here.
- 5 Ladies
- 7 Selected Portraits for Solo Piano
- - No. 1, Philip Claflin (Dans le temps trés noceur)
- - No. 2, Jane Bowles (Early and as Remembered)
- - No. 3, Sea Coast (A Portrait of Constance Askew)
- - No. 4, A Portrait of R. Kirk Askew, Jr.
- - No. 5, Maurice Bavoux (Young and Alone)
- - No. 6, Dora Maar, or the Presence of Picasso
- - No. 7, Florine Stettheimer (Parades)
- A Portrait of Two
- - I. Tempo commodo
- - II. Andante
- - III. Alert
- Sonata for Violin & Piano
- - I. Allegro
- - II. Andante nobile
- - III. Tempo di valzer
- - IV. Andante. Doppio movimento
- Concerto for Flute, Strings, Harp & Percussion
- - I. Rapsodico
- 3 Portraits (Arr. S. Dushkin)
- Piano Sonata No. 2
- - I. Cantabile
- - II. Sostenuto
- - III. Leggiero e brillante
- Serenade for Flute & Violin
- - I. March. Allegro militaire
- - II. Aria. Lento ma non tropo
- - III. Fanfare. Vivo
- - IV. Flourish. Presto possible
- - V. Hymn. Lento
- Etude for Cello & Piano (A Portrait of Frederic James)
- Lili Hastings
- 6 Portraits for Solo Piano
- Northeastern Suite (After V. Thomson)
- - I. The Hunt
- - II. Anne-Marie Soullière
- - III. Karen Brown Waltuck
- - IV. Russell Hitchcock, Reading
- - V. Rodney Lister
- Susie Asado
- 4 Saints in 3 Acts
- Praises and Prayers
- - No. 1, From "The Canticle of the Sun"
- - No. 2, My Master Hath a Garden
- - No. 3, Sung by the Shepherds
- - No. 4, Before Sleeping
- - No. 5, Jerusalem, My Happy Home
- 5 Phrases from "The Song of Solomon"
- - No. 1, Thou That Dwellest in the Gardens
- - No. 2, Return, O Shulamite!
- - No. 3, O, My Dove
- - No. 4, I Am My Beloved's
- - No. 5, By Night
- Mostly About Love
- - No. 1, Love Song
- - No. 2, Down at the Docks
- - No. 3, Let's Take a Walk
- - No. 4, A Prayer to Saint Catherine
- Commentaire sur Saint Jérome
- From "Sneden's Landing Variations"
- Shakespeare Songs (Excerpts)
- - No. 1, Was This Fair Face the Cause?
- - No 2, Take, O Take Those Lips Away
- - No. 3, Tell Me Where Is Fancy Bred
- - No. 5, Sigh No More, Ladies
- Oraison funèbre de Henriette-Marie de France, reine de la Grande-Bretagne
- Capital Capitals